Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sonny's Blue's

This story was hard for me to read because I often felt that I didn't fully understand what was going on. The lengthiness of it really helped me to understand the emotion of Sonny, his brother, and their mother. I felt that it didn't go anywhere but then again the details took me to a level of understanding of each characters personality. I grew up about 5 minutes from Detroit and although I don't spend much time in the city, my mom works there and I go there with her sometimes. When he was talking about getting "sucked in" and wanting to "get out" it reminded me of a lot of the kids I went to high school with (many of them lived in Detroit). We all talked about how we were going to "get out" and make something of ourselves and some of us have, or are, and it's sad to see the kids that were "sucked in" before we ever even graduated. I really liked how Sonny's brother learned to accept and understand his love for music by the end of the story. I think that both brothers appreciated each other more after they talked and revealed their feelings about where they've been, both physically and emotionally. Overall it was a good story, although I found it hard to get into and focus for so long on a story about an ordinary guy. I guess it shows that all of our lives are equally important and that someone cares about each of us, even in the worst of circumstances.

1 comment:

Erinn said...

Jessica,
Even though you initially said this story was hard for you to understand, I think you found a good approach to relating to it: by comparing the character's situation/setting to your own, you were able to connect with the story in interesting ways. As readers, sometimes it is necessary to make such connections; comparing Sonny's neighborhood to ones you remember from your childhood helps us see that Sonny's story really could be many people's story.

It sounds like you're interested in this story's setting. If you decide to revise this response for a larger project, you might like exploring how the setting plays a role in this story. What are we told about the setting? How do the different characters fall victim or rise above the circumstances they face?
Good job!